The nights are drawing in, the heating is being cranked up and it’s getting pretty cold outside. What better reasons do you need to snuggle up and have some cosy evenings on the sofa!
Well before you get too cosy, did you know there are numerous benefits to be gained from wrapping up and heading outside for a brisk winter workout? Read on and once we’ve convinced you, give it a go for real.
You’ll burn more calories
The colder outdoor weather means your body has to work harder to keep warm and this equals calorie burn.
An immune boost
Being up, active and outdoors are all great for your immunity, and a strong immune system equals less risk of catching those winter bugs.
Soak up the scenery
Our busy hectic lifestyles mean we often miss the enjoyment of what the natural environment on our doorstep has to offer. A crisp winter walk is a great way to soak up your natural surroundings and enjoy all this season has to offer.
A mental boost
Walking in winter is invigorating for the mind as well as the body. Once you’ve got started it won’t be long before you’re able to put any daily stresses to one side supporting overall wellness.
Outdoor winter walking tips
It’s all too easy for what seemed like an enjoyable walk to turn accident prone so spend a few minutes making sure you’re well prepared.
- If you suffer from a medical condition that can be aggravated by the colder weather such as heart disease, asthma and coughs check with your G.P. before you get started.
- Wear walking shoes or boots with a good quality grip to reduce the risk of slipping on soggy leaves, ice and snow.
- Invest in a reflective jacket or outer layer to make sure you can be seen in darker conditions.
- Take a drink with you – a hot water flask with lemon is a great option for colder days.
- Wear multiple thin layers which you can take on and off as needed rather than a chunky layer.
- It’s a walk not a race. Allow your body to find its natural walking stride and pace and take it from there.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Tell a family member, friend or loved one about your route, stick to popular paths and carry your mobile.
To find out more about how NutriFit Clinic can help you achieve your fitness goals get in touch for a friendly chat.